Saturday, October 17, 2009

McMurdo


     On the night of the 12th I didn't get much sleep.  I am not sure why.  It could of been that I was washing clothes until at least 2230 and repacking to keep the 2 bags I was allowed under 70 lbs apiece/figuring out my "boomerang bag", or it could of been the darn blue mood light under the bed that I couldn't firgure out how to turn off until about 0300.  As most people know I love the early morning stuff but not without sleep.  At 0515 we were picked up in shuttles to take us back to the CDC.   There we had to put on all our ECW gear, rearrange some of our bags, weigh in, eat breakfast, hear another saftey lecture, and finally depart @ 0830.  This plane was huge, a C-17.  Lots of cargo (including a catipillar)... Most of us were seated along the outer wall of the plane with about 30 of us sitting in rows in the middle of the plane.  Earplugs are definately reccomended.
     Once at cruising altitude we were able to walk around, although there wasn't much to see. We had been provided with a "box" lunch and told to hydrate, Hydrate, and HYDRATE.  I pealed off the lettuce on the ham and cheese sandwich, ate the chips and drank lots of water.  They let people spend 5-10 minutes in the cockpit to check things out-really cool, but certainly not the shuttle.


     Once we were over Antarctica the views out the little window (1 on each side in the rear of the plane), were breathtaking.  Diffuse white with occasional breaks in the ice allowing you to see the ocean.  Unfortunately, there were not any visible whales, seals, or penquins. As we approached the actual continent you were able to see mountains completely covered in white.  Without any perspective it was difficult to estimate hieghts.  We had to re don our ECW gear as that is was getting colder and colder in the plane and in preparation of landing.  Our landing was smoother than the commercial aircrafts but with a much longer runway (ice).  I can't wait to see a plane land on ice-that will be interesting.

Debarking the plane was met with a cold dry breeze.  If I remember corectly the Temp was @ -20 degrees or so.  Taking gloves off to take pictures wasn't too bad but you could definately get the idea how miserable you could be for an extended period of time without your ECW.  We walked from the plane to awaiting shuttles which bumpily transported us to McMurdo Station.  It is not much to look at as it is located on alot of volcanic ash/rock and is very bland/run down appearing.  We were dropped off at Building 155 where we had another saftey meeting and then recieved our room key.  It was fun watching people great each other-friends, family, or a person's relief from the winter.  I was fortunate that Dr. Legaut found me and helped me sort through all the information, get my bags and take them to my room.  There we chatted for awhile.. I don't remember much about the chat as that I was exhausted and just wanted to go to sleep.  However, Susan, Kristan and I went to another safety lecture on hiking outside.  All of us were exhausted.
     The next day I reported to the clinic to begin my training at 0730.  Met alot of people and didn't remember everyone's names at first.  Since beginning my training I have learned alot about positioning and taking X-rays.  the set up at McMurdo is pretty nice.  I am also learning stuff about the paperwork involved....  Soon will start doing labs.  Lots of people have the "crud" as they call it-basically URI/sinus problems.  I have no idea what the equipment is like at the South Pole.
As usual I had superhigh ambitions for Wedsday evening however by 1500, after the South Pole lecture my sinuses caught up with me.  I didn't go to the gym, attend the science lecture/movie, or make the trivia night.  I went to sleep.  I will do a separate entry about the McMurdo clinic.

      Thursday and Friday were much of the same, However after lots of sudafed, saline nasel spray and sleep I began exploring.  Thursday evening a bunch of us caught the first shuttle over to Scott's base, operated by New Zealanders, otherwise known as kiwis.  The kiwi is their national bird.  Their base is not far from McMurdo.  Their base is relatively small compared to the town of McMurdo and only opened to Americans on Thursday evenings.  According to the people that drink their bar is really nice and the beer really cheap.  They have great views of the Ross ice shelf, apparently they get alot of seals in January. Friday I finally hit the "gerbil gym" after work.  This area has several treadmills, ellipticals, bike.....At McMurdo we can take 4 showers a week.  Nice.
     Saturday was another day at the clinic.  currently I am sitting in the "Coffeehouse" where I can hook up to the internet via a telephone line.  Internet access is somewhat difficult to come by as that open computers are hard to get to during reasonable hours.  It is also a lot slower than I am used to.   Also just got word, after the 3rd attempt to the SP was canceled today, there will be 2 attempts on Monday and Tuesday.  I should be set to go to the SP on Tuesday, weather permitting.

2 comments:

  1. Emily, I have the feeling I will be seeing you on Friday, Reinhart

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just sent you another email to the gmail account. Is there a different address now?
    K

    ReplyDelete