Thursday, October 22, 2009

The food at McMurdo...

     Fortunately I am temporarily living in building 155 which also houses the cafeteria at McMurdo.  So I could technically eat my breakfast in my pajamas and not have to dress out in my ECW gear just to go to the cafeteria before work.   All meals are provided with your choice of whole/skim milk, coffee, tea, water (hydrate, Hydrate, and HYDRATE) and various juices.  One thing I have noticed down here is that everything is past the "expiration date"-  I mean in some cases WAY PAST.    One guy was telling us about a candy bar he received as part of  "happy camper" (more on that later) was dated 1995!   At most meals there is a huge bowel full of expired candy bars for the taking.  As that it is way too cold down here to host any bugs, vermin.... most people will keep food in their rooms without any difficulty.  Although I have also heard a story about a shipment of "freshies" a couple of years ago that brought in a bunch of flies and they had a hard time getting rid of them.  "Freshies"  are fresh vegtables, fruits....people seem to go crazy over lettace.  Personally I can't stand lettace but the fresh vegtables and fruit are nice.  Stuff also doesn't seem to go stale here. 
    Meals are provided 4 times a day.  Breakfast, lunch, dinner and around 0000 for those that work the night shift.  I haven't stayed up to midnight yet to check out those offerings Of course breakfast is my favorite-you can't go wrong there.  In addition to your pastries/breads, cereal, hot bar and fruit bar they usually have a fresh egg or waffle grill (sometimes whip cream is available). Lunch always has a sandwich bar where a wrap or sandwich can be made with whatever choices are available.  Always something hot, today was Philly cheese steak, roasted potatoes, green beans.  They usually have a fair to pretty good vegatarian selection, accordding to Mia (who is vegatarian).  Dinner has been everything from chicken/pork to beef products with vegtables.  "Freshies" when available are always included.  Now the good stuff.... deserts:).  today they had tappica pudding, chocolate chip brownies with non-dairy whipped topping and defrosted strawberries.  Their deserts range from jello (usually green) to fancy cakes or pies.  I have learned there are special days, like "cookie day": every Wednesday, "burger day" or "pizza day".  On Sunday mornings they have a "brunch" that starts at 1000 in addition to their usual breakfast that everyone looks forward too.  (Especially since most people have the day off on Sunday and are just getting up from the night before).
     Just to let you know their pancakes are not as good as Tex and Shirley's at Friendly Shopping Center.  Their french toast does not equal Cracker Barrel's.   I miss the pancakes, pocorn, real mashed potatoes, filet/baked potatoes, cheese nachos, and caffine free diet pepsi but am surviving. As picky as I am I have become very familiar with Cherrios, although some Captain Crunch or Alpha bets would be great.   I don't think I have gained any weight as that my clothes still fit.  I have met a couple of people who have already gained 5-7 pounds over the last week.  I do need to get to the gerbil gym more often then maybe I can enjoy an extra desert or second helping of .....

No comments:

Post a Comment